BLANCO’s Design Council recently visited EuroCucina, the International Kitchen Furniture Exhibition, in Milan, Italy. The biennial show always provides a glimpse of future trends for the next two years. So if you weren’t one of the 360,000 who attended to see over 160 kitchen exhibitors – or even if you did – here’s the top 5 things you need to know from 5 designers – all in one five minute video:
1) It’s about the experience. (Grace Kelly, Kitchen Designs by Ken Kelly)
Kitchen design is all about the experience. Creating an environment that works with how we live. For instance, iPad like controls in your countertop, herb holders near the cooktop, integrated composting systems (BLANCO SOLON™) and more.
2) Countertops are super thin or chunky. (Gloria Graham Sollecito, AKBD certified kitchen and bath designer)
Countertops are either very thin or chunky (about 3″ thick). White or grey, mixed with wood are popular color options. Sinks are sometimes integrated with countertops.
3) Kitchens are invisible. (Ken Kelly, Kitchen Designs by Ken Kelly)
We are seeing integrated everything. Cabinets that hide appliances and even entire kitchens. Countertops that hide sinks. Handleless cabinetry with seamless lines. It’s all part of making the kitchen integrate with living areas in the home.
4) Sinks are streamlined and chef-focused. (Kelly Morisseau, Author, Writer, Certified Master Kitchen & Bath Designer)
5) Natural, textural and industrial (Marilyn Russell, Interior Designer, Design Magnifique)
Natural and textural surfaces will translate well to the U.S. market. Industrial looks are also in demand. Innovative surfaces that stand up to wear and tear – even with small children were shown. And are available in our market.
Thank you to the BLANCO Design Council and to Leicht for their wonderful hospitality in allowing us to video in their booth at EuroCucina 2014.