With summer entertaining right around the corner, you will love how easily this Summer Berry Tart can be put together for any party or occasion. With a mixture of blueberries, strawberries and cream cheese, you are sure to have the perfect red white and blue dessert to serve this holiday weekend.
Guest post by: Amanda Paxton of Old House to New Home
I love desserts with minimal ingredients and this one definitely fits the bill. To braid the pastry, I use a pizza cutter to slice diagonal slices on each side of the fruit then you simply overlap each piece until you reach the end before tucking the edge over the top and you are done! A brushing of egg gets the puff pastry golden brown and a sprinkle of sugar adds some shine.
Summer Berry Tart Recipe:
1 9 inch sheet, puff pastry, defrosted but cold
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 plus 1 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup sliced strawberries
1 egg, beaten
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a non stick baking mat.
– In a small bowl, mix together cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
– Lay your puff pastry on the non stick mat. Roll out slightly with a rolling pin. Smooth together seams if necessary.
– Use a pizza cutter to score a rectangle in the middle. Do not cut all the way through. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly across the rectangle.
– Layer cream cheese with rows of strawberries and blueberries.
– Using a pizza cutter, cut strips on a diagonal on both sides of the fruit. Fold pieces over one another. Once you get to the end, tuck ends up on top. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Put back in fridge for 10-15 minutes to rechill.
– Remove from fridge and bake in the oven for 16-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool on a trivet, like this one from BLANCO. Serve room temperature.