Taine D’Agostino, CKD, ASID of Kitchen Designs by Ken Kelly Inc. recently created a beautiful kitchen with a bit of personal creativity and a whole lot of smart planning and designing for a wheelchair-based client. D’Agostino customized a kitchen to enhance her client’s cooking experience by making sure the kitchen was wheelchair friendly, without compromising comfort and performance.
It proved to be challenging task but D’Agostino got it right by intelligently designing each area of the kitchen while keeping in mind her client’s needs.
- To accommodate the lower tops, D’Agostino used a single drawer dishwasher.
- The cooktop area is open below in order to allow the client to wheel under the unit, and the gas connection is tucked in the corner with a covered panel.
- The sink area is recessed for easy access and the pipes are covered. D’Agostino purposefully picked a shallow BLANCO sink in order to allow better legroom and arm reach for her client.
- The microwave is below the counter for easy access.
- Regarding storage, two of the wall cabinets are motorized and can be lowered to the countertop height so the client can have easy access in and out of the cabinets.
- The client’s dogs are equally important to him, so D’Agostino placed the dog bowls and feeding area in a place with easy access and dog-food storage.
The BLANCO sink is recessed for easy roll-up use and the beverage refrigerator is at the end of the run for easy access, making the kitchen completely user-friendly for the client and his dogs for years to come.